could be anything. might be nothing. might make you think. could make you wish I would stop.
breathe people...everything is easier when you breathe!

11.28.2015

30 day people challenge - author

My favorite author is C.S.Lewis.
The only books of his that I have read are The Chronicles of Narnia.
He is very well respected for his many books but I know nothing of this.

I only know Aslan and Peter and Susan and Lucy and Edmond.
I only know that Mr. Lewis changed my view of God and time and space and my relationship to all of everything.

Evidently, Mr. Lewis was writing for his granddaughter Lucy. His inscription is sweet and loving and has always struck me as an example of wisdom packing words with meaning that will only be revealed with time.

My Dear Lucy,
        I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say but I shall still be

        your affectionate Godfather,”

I think that C.S. Lewis understood that Lucy would someday come back to appreciate her grandfather's story. I think that he knew she would need time and that time would reveal new worlds of understanding to her heart and mind.  I think that his story held layers of meaning that he could only barely understand himself.  I think he was trying to explain to her the wonder that he had seen and known and that he was patient enough to let it come and not rush it.
I think that Lucy was a lucky girl.

My copies of Narnia are worn from reading. They sit on my shelf in my room where I can guard them from harm. My children are allowed to read them...carefully. (I actually bought them a set so they would leave mine alone.) I have probably read these books 100 times as there was a time in my life when I would read the series through and then begin at the beginning for an unending round of Narnia.

I believe that heaven looks like Narnia.
With these words from The Last Battle my heart swells...

“I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now...Come further up, come further in!”

Thank you Mr. Lewis.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
30 day people challenge. Swing by and see what our other contributors are up to.

Don at donhillson.wordpress.com
Niki at nikinowell.wordpress.com
Beckie at free2b2much.blogspot.com
Tracy at countyroadchronicles.wordpress.com

It’s not too late to join us! Get the details here:
nikinowell.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/30-day-people-challenge/

No comments:

Post a Comment